Following the global Cement Technology Roadmap in 2009 developed in a partnership between WBCSD CSI and the International Energy Agency (IEA), nine CSI members in India* again joined hands with IEA to develop a ‘Technology Roadmap: Low-Carbon Technology for the Indian Cement Industry’. The initiative in India is supported by the International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group.
Potential reduction of 45% by 2050
The India roadmap, launched in February 2013, outlines a low-carbon growth pathway for the Indian cement industry that could lead to carbon intensity reductions of 45% by 2050. It proposes that these reductions could come from increased clinker substitution and alternative fuel use; further improvements to energy efficiency, and the development & widespread implementation of newer technologies.
Solid technical foundations
The roadmap is based on a set of technical papers developed by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Green Business Centre and National Council for Cement and Building Materials (NCB). These technical papers focus on existing and potential technologies available to the cement industry in India, which could lead to emissions reductions. The modeled results projected in the roadmap are a combination of information from these papers, and emissions data from about 65% of the India cement industry.
Wide stakeholder consultation
Throughout the process of developing the roadmap, stakeholder consultation was carried out to bring in varied perspectives on technology development and deployment, as well as views on policy and financing frameworks that would support technology implementation. A total of three specific stakeholder dialogues took place:
- Technical expert workshop, 28 June 2011, Mumbai
- Technical expert workshop, 29 June 2011, Delhi
- Policy and financing requirements for low-carbon growth, 17 January 2012, Delhi
Documents for download
- ‘Technology papers for the Indian cement industry – looking behind the data’ (ECRA, August 2012)
- ‘Existing and Potential Technologies for Carbon Emissions Reductions in the Indian Cement Industry’ (CSI, February 2013)
- ‘Technology Roadmap: Low-Carbon Technology for the Indian Cement Industry’ (IEA/WBCSD, February 2013)
- ‘Technology Roadmap: Low-Carbon Technology for the Indian Cement Industry summary pull-out’ (IEA/WBCSD, February 2013)